Most people want to buy a new car because they had 3 children. But the main point is that when your children exceed then you are trying to fit them in your car with complete safety and comfort.
Now you have not to worry about this because there are too many 3 across car seats, slim enough to fit in your vehicles.
When we are talking about the 3-across car seats then it doesn’t mean that three of any one car seats will fit in your vehicle. 3 across car seat means, you can easily fit three car seats in one vehicle. Because of the three kids most people now looking for the best Infant car seats, convertible car seats, and booster seats that fit together.
In this article, we will tell you about the 3 across car seats complete guide and which vehicle is best for the 3 across car seats and vehicles that fit 3 car seats across.
Great Vehicles That Fit 3 Across Car Seats:
If you are a parent and trying to fit 3 car seats into your vehicle but it’s a difficult and boring job for you. In the market, the best brand cars can fail to provide you the three full seat LATCH system connections. Most cars provides you the two sets of LATCH connectors and provides you the tether for the middle seat.
But there are some vehicles that provide you the three full sets of LATCH connections in a single row these vehicles that fit 3 car seats across are given below.
- Dodge Charger
- Buick Envision
- Honda Pilot
- Chrysler Pacifica
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Chevrolet Traverse
- Honda Odyssey
- BMW X7
- Lexus LX570
- Honda Ridgeline
- Ford Expedition
- Ford F150
- Volkswagen Atlas
- Nissan Murano
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Toyota 4Runner
- Jaguar I-Pace
- Nissan Titan
- Infiniti QX80
Normal car seat is 15 to 20 inches wide, but the vehicles that fit 3 car seats across must be 45 inches and 60 or more inches is preferable.
How to Fit Car Seats Three Across with Tips for Fitting 3-Across Seats:
If we talk about the laws of car seat then it depends on your living state but most of the states allow you that children until age 12 should stay in a car seat. But the more than two children is challenged for the parents if your car seats are so wide and your vehicle has three available latch anchors then you can easily fit three children in your vehicle.
Related: What is a Booster Seat?
Now if we talk about the narrow car seats then narrow car seats easily fit in your vehicle because these car seats are slimmer in width.
The next section is 3 across car seats, so these seats are specially designed to help you select the advanced 3 across installations for a booster, infant, forward-facing, rear-facing, convertible and all in one car seats so you can make the best decision during buying.
Some things you need to know in 3 across car seats:
- What is the type of your vehicle?
- Compatibility among different car seats
- Different options for narrow car seats
With the help of this guide, you can easily buy the best for you
What is the type of your vehicle?
The first thing is vehicle types, this thing matters with the car seats. First, the roomy vehicles will make fitting three car seats a whiff. But as compared to this fitting three child in the compact vehicles is the more challenging part.
Some vehicle models that are best for the 3 across seats in the rear seat are Minivans. In the midsize sedans, pickup trucks and CRVs are tight congestion to fit three car seats. Vehicles that are not made for the three-car seats are subcompacts, sports cars, 4-passenger cars, 2-door vehicles, and performance cars
The other thing is the style of the rear seat of your vehicle. Some vehicles present in the market come with the flat bench back seats rather than contoured seats and these vehicles are best for the 3 across car seats. The other thing is legroom and hip room that decide how much space you have to install the three-car seats
System of Safety Restraint:
With the 3 across car seats, you have to consider the safety restraint system of your vehicle. LATCH system must be present in your vehicle (stands for the tethers and the lower anchors system for children) along with the lap seat belt and the shoulder system.
LATCH system is the best and the important option for the 3 across seats in all three positions including rear seats, both sides, and the center. But the main point is that some vehicles do not provide you the anchors especially for the middle seats
Factors that make a difference:
- If your vehicle doesn’t provide you the lower anchors for the middle seats then you will not install the three seats with the help of the LATCH system.
- LATCH system space of your vehicle
- If you have a vehicle that is designed for the two car seats then you will not be able to install the three-car seats
First Take Measurements And Then Compare:
Measure the rear seat of your vehicle will take some time and effort and after taking measurement you have to compare it with the width and sizes of the different models of restraint seats and this is the best way to get the best 3 across car seats for your vehicle. Some important measurements of vehicles are given below
When Measuring, Important points to keep in mind:
- First, you have to check out the manual of vehicle for the back seat side airbag and then start measuring
- Design of the car seats and also the point of reference
- After this, you have to measure at the width of the vehicle and this measurement includes side and back panels
- Vehicle must have some space between the car seats
- After all this, you must try different types of narrow seats and some different brands to get the proper measurements that you are looking for.
Compatibility Among different Car Seats:
In the market, there are different types and different brands of car seats are available. All the types of car seats are given below
- Rear-facing car seat
- Convertible car seats for tall babies that transition from infant to toddler
- Forward-facing car seat
- Infant car seat
- Infant car bed for premature babies
- Booster seat
- All in one car seats that transition from rear-facing to forward-facing to booster;
When you are trying to fit 3 across car seats in a row then remember one thing that all car seats are not compatible with each other. The main difference is their widest point, the width of different vehicles are from 17 inches to 21 inches. It’s possible that you already have an all in one car seat that is perfect for your first child but it’s impossible to fit two more seats.
If we talk about the car seat compatibility then the first thing is a secure fit. It means that the car seat cannot be too loose or too tight. Some important compatibility issues you have to notice between the same brands are given below
- The width of the car makes it impossible to fit car seat side by side
- The shape and style of the car seat interfere with others
- There is too much movement in the one or more seats
- Some space is always present between the car seats to attach the seat belts
Different 3 across Car Seats or Narrow Seat options?
If we talk about the 3 across car seats or narrow car seats then remember two important things first one is its flexibility and the second one is properly fit with the rear seat of your vehicle. In the market, there are too many 3 across car seats that come with these two facilities and recommended by too many parents who have purchased all these seats and also used them in the configuration three across the car seats.
In this part of the guide, we will provide you some narrow car seats for all types of vehicles.
1. Infant Car Seats:
These infant car seats are specially designed for the toddlers and also for the babies. These car seats come in different two types including rear-facing convertible and rear-facing. Different best infant car seats for 3 across seat configuration are given below
- Chicco KeyFit: This 3 across car seat comes with the 17 inches wide and the weight of this car seat is 9.6 pounds
- Peg Perego Viaggio: It comes with the base width of 14.5 inches and the maximum width of this car seat is 17 inches
- Cybex Aton: This car seat is lightweight and comes with the 9 pounds weight. the width of this car seat is 17.32 inches
2. Convertible Car Seats:
These car seats are specially designed for preschoolers and also for toddlers. You can easily convert these seats from rear-facing to the forward-facing. The best convertible car seats that are used as a 3 across car seats are given below.
- Britax Marathon ClickTight: The width of this seat is 18.5 inches and made up of high-quality materials including a steel frame. It also provides you the energy-absorbing base and also an impact-absorbing tether.
- Britax Roundabout G4.1: If we talk about the width of this seat then it comes with the 18.5 inches width and still this seat is the lightest convertible car seat available in the market because of its 17.6 pounds weight
- Graco Size4Me 65: This seat is specially designed for premature babies and the width of this car seat is 19 inches
3. All in one Car Seats:
The other name of all in one car seats are 3 in 1 seat, because these seats start out as rear-facing, after this transition to forward and then booster seat to hold the child growth. Some of them are also called 4 in 1 seats. Recommended seats for the three across car seat configuration are given below.
- Graco Milestone: The width of this car seat is 19 inches and pillow space is also provided with the seat.
- Graco 4Ever: This seat doesn’t provide you the cupholders but the width of this seat is 19 inches. It provides you the best and advanced functionality features.
- Diono Rainier: It comes with the 18.5 inches width and this seat handles the 50 pounds weight in the rear-facing configuration.
4. Toddler Booster Combination:
If we talk about the toddler booster combination car seats then it starts out as forward-facing seats after this it converts into to belt-positioning booster seat and at the end, it converts into the backless booster seats. All the related car seats are given below
- Graco Nautilus: This car seat is steel reinforced and the width of this car seat is 20.92 inches. If we talk about the durability then this car seat is specially designed for this thing
- Britax Frontier: It comes with the click tight technology for the easy installation and the inner width of this seat is 15.5 inches and outer width is 19 inches
- Evenflo SecureKid LX: The width of this lightweight car seat is 19.5 inches
5. Booster Seats:
These car seats are specially designed for elementary school-aged children. For those children who have crossed the weight and height requirements of forward-facing. All car seats are given below
- Evenflo Big Kid: it comes with the 16 inches width this car seat is both backless and high back booster seat.
- Graco Affix: This seat comes with the 16.75 inches width and can be used for 30 to 100 pounds weight children with the back and 40 to 100 pounds weight children with the backless.