The Best car seat height and weight guidelines: Every year thousands of young children are killed or get injured in a car accident. By proper use of car seats, can helps to keep your children safe from a car accident.
But with so many car seats on the market, many parents find this overwhelming. If you are a good parent and you want to keep your baby safe from any car crash, then give yourself enough time to learn how these car seats are properly installed before your baby is born.
There are many different car seats available in the market, and each car seat has its own price. These car seats are very important for you and your baby they are made with very hard fabrics, and the belts of these car seats are very secure.
So if you are worried about your child’s safety, then make sure to buy one of these car seats.
Why is Car Seat important?
- 1 Why is Car Seat important?
- 2 Best Car Seat Height and Weight Guidelines
- 3 Types of Car Seat
- 4 What are the height and weight requirements for a car seat?
Now a day every hospital makes sure that the baby won’t leave the hospital until they are sure of his safety. They won’t let you leave the hospital if you don’t have a properly installed car seat for your newborn baby.
Your local city and state regulations will also determine what car seat you can have, and they will tell you how to use them. As your child grows, their car seat needs will change as well, so they may have to purchase a new seat depending on how old your child is.
Best Car Seat Height and Weight Guidelines
Car seats rules have changed a lot over the past few years. That’s to research from the American academy of pediatrics and all the other agencies. Car seat rules for children are probably out of date now.
These rules are specially made for you, and your child safety follows these rules if you want your baby safe on a road trip.
If you don’t follow these rules, then you are risking your child’s life. AAP and other agencies have made different penalties in order if you don’t follow these rules
Here are the general recommendations from the AAP as of 2019
- Your babies should be kept rear-facing until at least two years old, preferably longer.
- Use a forward-facing harness for as long as possible to make your baby safer.
- Every child should use a booster seat until they are 8 to 10 years old, 60 inches tall, and until the vehicle, belt fits them as it fits an adult.
- Replace any seat that is damaged or involved in a crash as soon as possible.
- Always use your seats gently you can reuse your seat that hasn’t in a car crash but before using it always check the expiration date both on the label and in the manual.
- Never recalled seat. Check the child seat recall list to stay up to date on product recalls.
These were the few rules that you have to follow in order to make your baby safe in a car.
How are Car Seats Helpful for Children?
By using a car seat is the best way to protect kids when traveling by car. It helps your kid to be safe in a car. And with a good reason, unintentional injury can cause of death in children, and most of the injuries occur in a car crash.
Child safety seats can greatly reduce the risk of potentially fatal injuries, especially in your baby case but also for a toddler. Some people use safety seats incorrectly whenever choosing a car seat to try to follow some general car seat height and weight guidelines will help you to ensure your child’s safety.
As we all know the best car seat is not always the most expensive one the seat that fits your baby in car seat height and weight guidelines, size, and age, as well as your vehicle, is the best one for your baby.
Once you have bought a car, be sure to try it out, keeping in mind that store displays and illustrations do not always show the correct usage. It is up to you how to learn and how to install a car seat properly and harness your child for the ride.
If you need help installing your car seat, you would like a technician to check whether you have installed it properly.
Types of Car Seat
There are many types of car seats available in the market, and here are the following types of car seats.
Infant Car Seat (rear-facing only)
Every newborn baby must start their journey with a rear-facing seat and should stay on this type of seat until age 2 or older. These seats are only designed only to be rear-facing. The weight range of this seat is from 4-40 pounds depending on each model.
We know that children will reach the max height before the max weight. If you notice that the top of the children’s head is less than one inch from the top of the seat than that’s mean it is time to change your seat.
Infant car seats are very convenient because they have a separate base and can detach for use as a baby carrier. These seats are great for babies to take a nap, and you can take the seat out of the car without disturbing them.
Convertible car seats
Convertible car seats can be used rear-facing for infants, and you can convert your seats to forward-facing as your child grows. It is up to you can use these seats on start, and you can convert on convertible seats after your child grows.
If you want to keep your baby in a rear-facing seat, you keep them as long as possible because these seats have a higher face limit.
These seats have forward-facing weight limits of up to 65 pounds. Although they are designed to hold newborns from 4-5 pounds, these seats are often too big for a very small baby.
These seats allow longer use, and they can save your money.
Booster Car Seats
You can use these seats when your child surpasses the size limit of the front-facing harness seat; then your baby is ready for a booster seat.
A booster car seat lifts your child up so they can use the car seat belt system without a harness. These booster seats ensure that the car seat belt fits your baby as it would on an adult to keep your child safe.
These seats have to models high back seat or a backless model. Some can function as both.
Backless boosters are popular because they are cheaper lighter and more portable.
The vehicle belt doesn’t provide the same position as well as a high back model. High back models also provide side impact protection and provide a place for a child to rest his head.
Toddler Booster Seats
These beats are slightly different than a traditional booster. These seats can be used from the time your child is ready for a forward seat until then they can use a booster seat.
In these seats, a child can fit anywhere from 20 to 90 pounds in harness mode and 40 to 120 in a booster mode. Toddler booster car seats are a good option if you are upgrading from an infant car seat.
All in one car seats
All in one car seat are much like convertible car seats and are true money saver these seats can be used from birth through booster seat age.
In rear-facing mode they can hold a baby anywhere from 4 to 50 pounds, 20 to 60 pounds on forward-facing and 30 to 120 pounds as a booster seat.
These seats have multi-tasking functions that can save your time and money.
Sometimes they don’t perform in each mode as well as one task seat. This is the best option for you if you are a new parent and you don’t have any knowledge about these seats.
Installation of a Car Seat
Car safety seats may be installed with either the vehicle seat belt or its latch system. The latch is an attachment system that is for car safety seats. The lower anchor can be used instead of the seat belt to be installed, and many parents find them easier to use in some cars.
The top tether provides more safety to the seat, and it is very important to use for all forward-facing seat.
A latch is a system that is used to hold your baby seat well in balanced. Latch has two lower anchors and one top tether. These help your car seat to hold tightly, and it will hold your car seat in a heavy car crash.
What are the height and weight requirements for a car seat?
The height of your child is at least one inch between the top of the child’s head and the top of the car seat. Because as we all know that some kids have longer legs and another longer torso. It is almost impossible to give a height limit in terms of the total child height.
If your child’s feet touch the vehicle seat back, then it is okay and does not mean that the child is too tall for rear-facing.
Here are the weight requirements for car seats.
Infant car seat
Most infant car seat carriers go to 22 pounds or higher. You can always check your seat instruction manual or the label on the side of the car seat to find out its weight limit.
Convertible Car Seats
We all know that these seats can go both rears facing and forward-facing. The weight limit of rear-facing is 40 pounds although some newer models go up to 50 pounds.
We will advise you to check your car seat instruction manual or look at the information label on the side of the car seat to find out its weight limit.
When you buy a new seat, always make sure that the car seat height limit makes sense with its weight limit.
Five things you know before you buy a perfect car seat
Here the five things you know before you buy a perfect car seat.
- Know if your vehicle is compatible. Car manufactured before 2002 will most likely not have a latch system. This system was designed to make it easier to install a car seat without using car belts properly.
- If you have a car after 2002, you should have at least two lower latch anchors and one top tether.
- You always want to buy a car seat according to your budget. These car seats can cost anywhere from that $100 to well over $500, so it’s a considerable investment for your families. Always know what you can spend and look for seats within the price range.
- The good thing about this car seat is that the price does not determine the safety of car seats. Look for an option that will save your money such as all in one seat that will grow with your child from birth through booster age.
- Know your lifestyle. We know that not every car seat fits with every lifestyle. If you travel a lot then you need to frequently switch your car seat from one vehicle to the next, you want a seat that is lightweight and quick to install.
- If you jog a lot, you need a car seat that fits well on a stroller.
- Always know your child’s size. It is very easy to keep your child’s age, but height and weight can change very quickly over the course of a few months. All car seats have weight and height ranges if you have fewer budgets than you can but a seat with a higher size limit so you can use it as long as possible.
- Know how to install a car seat. The majority of a child’s seat is not installed properly. So it doesn’t matter how much you spend time on your car seat it is useless if you are not using the seat right. When you properly install your seat then it should not move 1 inch from its place, always read your car seat and car owner manual before installing.